Meet Our Team

Our 2019-20 team is comprised of 11 girls in grades 10-11, all of whom are hard working students dedicated to promoting and supporting the Marlbots mission of empowering young girls and participating in the FIRST Tech Challenge.

IMG_1667.jpg

Sofia Simon-Trench

Co-Captain & Hardware Lead

Hi, my name is Sofia and I am a junior. This is my second year in FTC and my first year as co-captain of the Marlbots!  I am known as the “resident CAD expert” on the Marlbots and think I am the only person here who actually enjoys doing CAD! On the team, I manage all things hardware including but not limited to the technical notebook, tool safety, mechanism and full robot design.  Outside of the marlbots, I like to walk my dog, watch TV, and CAD.  

IMG_9652.jpg

Emma Cruz

Co-Captain &  Software Lead

Hi, I’m Emma, and I’m in eleventh grade. This is my second year in FTC, and my first year as co-captain of the Marlbots! On the team, I spend an excessive amount of time coding our auto, and I am also one of the drivers . Outside of robotics, I love to read, occasionally spend hours coding some fun project, and am pretty obsessed with Taylor series. I also enjoy playing basketball, solving Rubik’s cubes, and baking.

IMG_4555.jpg

Catherine Or

Game Lead

Hi, I’m Catherine and I’m in eleventh grade. This is my second year in FTC and on the Marlbots. I enjoy the hands on aspect of robotics as well as creating quantitative scouting sheets. I really enjoy playing basketball competitively, solving Rubik’s cubes, spending time with friends, and being active in general. I am also known for always having a large supply of snacks in my lunchbox.

IMG_0734.jpg

Charlie Reardon

...

Hi! My name is Charlie, I’m in tenth grade, and I go by they/them pronouns. This is my third year of doing robotics at Marlborough. Despite my excessive complaining, I don’t actually hate CADing. (please don’t tell Simon-Trench) I jump around in every part of robotics, except for coding because I am *not* good at that, but mainly I consider myself the comedic relief of the Marlbots.  Outside of robotics I have practically no free time because of choir, theater, and schoolwork. When I’m not doing that? There’s a 33.33% chance I’m watching YouTube, a 33.33% chance I’m hanging out with Jordan, and a 33.33% chance that I’m doing both at the same time.

IMG_4671.jpg

Charlotte Cox

Marketing Lead

Hi!!! :) I’m Charlotte and I am in tenth grade. This is my ninth year of doing FIRST, my third year of doing FTC, and my second year on the Marlbots! This year, I am the Marketing Lead, which pretty much means I do the business-y stuff. I love talking to people and keeping things organized!!!! In my free time, I am on a crew (rowing, the sport in boats) team that practices seven days a week!!! :)

IMG_4402.jpg

Isabelle Shapiro

...

Hi, I’m Isabelle, and I’m in eleventh grade. This is my first year in FTC and I’m so excited to join the Marlbots! I love coding in general, but I’m not really sure how that will translate to robotics or what, exactly, I’ll be doing to contribute to the team yet. Outside of school, I spend nearly every waking hour at the pool training with my swim team. I also love writing, playing piano, and any sort of sport/exercise.

IMG_0229.jpg

Jordan Ellis

...

Hello, Jordan’s my name and robotics is my game. I’m in tenth grade and this year marks my third year in FTC. I love the engineering side of robotics and you will generally find me working on the robot. In my non-existent free time, I also play the flute and horseback ride competitively. How I find time to sleep and do all my schoolwork is a mystery to me. 

IMG_3087.jpg

Leah Dimsu

...

Hi, I’m Leah and I am a sophomore. I’ve been doing robotics for 3 years and have been on the Marlbots for 2 of them. I love fabricating parts of the robot and sometimes helping with coding the robot. During my free time, I enjoy swimming, soccer, and reading. I also play the clarinet and am learning to play water polo.

IMG_0041.jpg

Nina Fischer

...

Hi, my name is Nina and I’m in tenth grade. This is my third year on a FTC team, and my second on the Marlbots. I love building any part of the robot I can and it’s not uncommon for me to be found fiddling with robot mechanisms or with a keps nut or allen wrench in my pocket. When I am not actively doing robotics, I am usually talking about FTC and the FTC community! I also love to dance, read and bake/cook just about anything.

IMG_1265.jpg

Shine Park

...

Hi, I’m Shine and I’m a sophomore, and this is my second year in robotics. I enjoy building and testing parts of robotics. Outside of robotics, I enjoy watching Netflix, procrastinating, and training for archery. 

IMG_0905.jpg

Tommie Lee

Outreach Lead

Hi I’m Tommie, and I’m a Junior! This is my second year in robotics, and my first year as Outreach Lead for the Marlbots. I love using power tools and meeting new people (not necessarily in any order). I mainly communicate with mentors and other robotics teams within our area, but I also enjoy getting hands-on with robot assembly! Outside of robotics, I’m training for the LA marathon, and I enjoy making video edits and anything worm on a string related :)

Meet Our Mentors

We are extremely lucky to have three teachers at Marlborough who are able to help us in the process of designing and coding our robot!

IMG_2205.jpg

Mr. Andrew Witman

Marlbots Coach, STEM+ Program Co-Head

Hi, I’m Mr. Witman, and I'm the coach for the Marlbots. I actually started robotics when I was in high school on FRC team #190, and I was on the pep squad. I even played the trumpet at the world finals. I started teaching robotics with an FLL team in the Bronx where I was at for three years, and I have been at Marlborough ever since - 10 years, now!

2019-02-05 15.13.33.jpg

Dr. Darren Kessner

Computer Science Instructor, STEM+ Program Co-Head

Hi, I'm Dr. Kessner and I love math and computer science.  In my spare time I like to study projectile motion, usually with multiple objects.  Ask me and I'll show you how to throw, catch, and iterate.

2019-02-05 15.11.37.jpg

Dr. Lee Hamill

Science Instructor

Hi, I'm Dr. Hamill! When I started teaching at Marlborough two years ago, I thought I would just be teaching physics. Last year, I discovered the fun and excitement of robotics at Marlborough and have been a mentor to the teams ever since. It is so rewarding to work with such a motivated group of students, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season!